More players finalize college plans
As the late signing period comes to a close, we have news about a variety of college plans made by Indiana players at all levels. The final signing date for National Letters of Intent is today.
- Bishop Chatard junior Cathy Doyle has given a verbal commitment to new Illinois State head coach Stephanie Glance. Doyle, a 5’10 guard, was an Indianapolis Star All-City honoree and will also play in the upcoming Indiana Class Basketball All-Star Classic in June. As a junior, Doyle averaged 16.3 points, 7.7 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 2.6 steals for the 28-8 Trojans and head coach Bill Silvey. According to the Star, Doyle also received offers from Austin Peay and Eastern Kentucky, as well as interest from Missouri.
More: Bishop Chatard’s Doyle commits to Illinois State – Indianapolis Star
Transfers to D-I
- Former ’08 sparkplug Ronikka Drake (right) of Marion has signed with D-I Northwestern State University in Natchitoches, Louisiana. The 5’5 guard has played the past two seasons at Lincoln Trail College in Illinois, averaging 9.3 points, 3.7 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 1.5 steals per game as a sophomore.
More: Drake signs with Northwestern State – Lincoln Trail
- Former ’09 Terre Haute South standout Tessa Johnson has signed with D-I Marshall University after one year at Lincoln Trail College. The 5’10 wing averaged a 14.1 points per game in her rookie campaign, and stroked a team-high 74 treys this past season for the Lady Statesmen.
More: Johnson signs with Marshall University – WTHI
Johnson signs to play for Herd women – Herald Dispatch
- Angelica Henry of Indianapolis Arsenal Tech has signed a National Letter of Intent to play for Coastal Carolina. As a senior, the 5’5 guard averaged 17.5 points, 4.0 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 3.0 steals per game, while knocking down 84 free throws during a 9-12 season. She will join signees Shanika Maddox of Fishers, Alexx Puckett of Brebeuf and ’08 North Central grad Kira Carter as part of the Chanticleers 2010 signing class.
More: Women’s basketball signs Henry – Coastal Carolina
- Warsaw standout Kelci Freds (right) has signed with South Carolina Upstate. The 5’6 senior guard was a Hoosier Basketball Magazine Top 100 honoree and led Warsaw to a 16-6 overall record and a Northern Lakes Conference title. She averaged 15.1 points, 3.3 assists and shot 80% from the charity stripe. Freds was also named First Team IBCA All-Academic and Honorable Mention All-State. Photo from Tiger Sports Nation.
More: Freds signs on with Coach George’s Spartans – USC Upstate
- The Purdue Calumet Peregrines will welcome Indianapolis Pike’s Alyssa Holder to their roster next season. The 6’0 forward averaged 9.1 points, 9.2 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 3.0 blocks per game as a senior. She was HBM All-State HM and completed in the North-South All-Star game. “Alyssa is a great fit for us,” says PUC head coach TomMegyesi. “She is an outstanding athlete that we expect to contribute to our team’s success immediately with her strong inside presence and rebounding ability.”
- North Central (Farmersburg) senior Kate Brown will suit up for Olney Central Community College next season. The four-year starter averaged 13.0 points per game during a 10-11 senior campaign.
More: Brown signs with Olney Central – WTHI
- Franklin Central senior LaTeasha “TeTe” Hill has signed with Southwestern Illinois State, a junior college in Belleville, Illinois. Hill, a 6’0 power forward, was a two-time Conference Indiana honoree and averaged 11.0 points a 6.9 rebounds per game.
More: Four players sign to play for Blue Storm women - bnd.com
LaTeasha Hill signs with Southwestern Illinois State – Franklin Central